dougs digs

once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

2.03.2006

Bono's Prayer

I remember how my mother would bring us to chapel on Sunday . . . and my father used to wait outside. One of the things that I picked up from my father and my mother was the sense that religion often gets in the way of God. For me, at least, it got in the way. Seeing what religious people, in the name of God, did to my native land . . . and in this country, seeing God’s second-hand car salesmen on the cable TV channels, offering indulgences for cash . . . in fact, all over the world, seeing the self-righteousness roll down like a mighty stream from certain corners of the religious establishment. I must confess, I changed the channel. I wanted my MTV. Even though I was a believer. Perhaps because I was a believer. I was cynical . . . not about God, but about God’s politics.


But the reason I am here, and the reason I keep coming back to Washington, is because this is a town that is proving it can come together on behalf of what the Scriptures call the least of these. This is not a Republican idea. It is not a Democratic idea. It is not even, with all due respect, an American idea. Nor it is unique to any one faith. "Do to others as you would have them do to you." Jesus says that.

DATA has more information about Bono's trip to D.C. and a transcript of his National Prayer Breakfast remarks. CNN has video. AmericanRhetoric.com has a complete transcript and audio.

|| doug, 14:58

0 Comments:

Post a Comment