dougs digs

once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

1.08.2006

Back For More

After putting it off for several years, I have made the decision to go back to school to get a second Master's degree. Starting this week, I will begin working towards a Masters of Public Administration from the Bloch School of Business and Public Administration at UMKC.

This is actually pretty darn amazing, considering I resorted to many unconscionable acts just to get my GPA high enough to even graduate from college, desperate times called for desperate measures folks.

The weirdest part for me about going back to graduate school aren't the three-hour classes, or the 100 page papers, or even the boring lectures; it's being registered as a often-mocked "non-traditional student". I guess anyone either seeking a postgraduate degree and/or is over the age of 30 is automtically registered as a "non-traditional student". But you know what, I will wear this label with pride out of honor and respect for the person that paved the way for equality and respect for all "non-traditional students", Mr. Frank 'The Tank' Ricard.

I'm more than ready and rather excited to begin this journey. Let's see if I'm still saying that next year . . . next month . . . or even next week. Wish me luck and I'll see you all when I re-emerge again sometime in 2008.
|| doug, 00:00

4 Comments:

Wow, For some reason, I didn't realize that it was happening this soon. Well, good luck. And I hope BTT won't end because of it. ;)
Blogger timsamoff, at 8/1/06 08:36  
It's a pretty decent program. I'm finishing up my last 4 hours in it this semester. If you want any advice on who to avoid and what to look forward to, please feel free to email me.
Blogger Dan, at 9/1/06 08:15  
I received a double MBA from UMKC. If I was going to do it again, though, I'd do their combination law degree and MBA. It's only a few hours more. You might check into it. You'd have to take the LSAT. Go luck!
Anonymous Anonymous, at 9/1/06 08:22  
Tim - never I say, never.

Dan - Hey man, thank you so much for the advice, I will take you up on it. Perhaps we can meet up at Muddy's or for a beer and you can give me the lowdown.

Paul - You are a maniac, plain and simple. Don't know about a double MBA or a Jd + MBA, that is suicide.
Blogger doug, at 9/1/06 23:30  

Post a Comment