dougs digs

once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

2.21.2005

Fare Thee Well (part two)



Since the news of Hunter's tragic death was announced last night, the blogosphere has been operating in overdrive with mourning fans, appreciative friends and colleagues, and "gonzo" journalists alike trying to make since of this tragedy and dealing with it the only way they know how (in true Hunter fashion) . . . writing.

After reading dozens of blogs and articles, I came across one that took the words right out of my mouth in describing what this is like for me . . .

I knew one day Hunter would be gone and we'd all sit and talk about how great he was. I didn't want to wait until he was dead for people to appreciate him... so I reached out. Hunter was like Jerry Garcia, you just know neither was ever going to live out a full life to old age. I miss them both so much.

I also want to say this. We all knew Hunter could go any day. What I expected was a headline like this "Gonzo journalist shot by police after consuming hundreds of hits of LSD and attempting to paint murals on Aspen police cars" or something cool and strange like that. I guess I wanted an Easy Rider type ending... a martyr who fought to the end.

http://www.iamcorrect.blogspot.com/

|| doug, 11:09

0 Comments:

Post a Comment