dougs digs

once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

9.28.2005

It's Only Rock-n-Roll, But I Like It

Last week I had one of the most incredible weeks of my life. I am a huge music fan, and like any music aficionado, I absolutely dig a live show. Last week I experienced 3 great shows in a 4-night span. Now, a week later I am finally able to gather what's left of my blown mind and attempt to write about it all, it was pretty surreal to say the least.

It all kicked off with hanging with my friend Tim in my home away from home, Lawrence. Tim and I were there to check out Jimmy Eat World. More specifically their drummer (and friend), Zach Lind. What a great guy, it was cool to finally meet up with him at the Free State Brewery before the show, where we got to know each other, shoot the shit, all the while waxing theologically and such. The show was outstanding. This was a rare night in which they could play an extended set. They are currently on tour opening up for Green Day, so a night they headline and can play more than 30 minutes (they played for over 90 minutes by the way) is a treat for them and their fans (which I am one now). Read Tim's take on the night here.

I was almost as equally impressed with a band originally from Lawrence that opened for them,
The Appleseed Cast. These guys are the "real deal". I thought they were amazing. A heavy melodic sound that both rocks and soothes. Keep your ears and eyes open for these guys.

Following that was a show I have waited my entire adult life to experience. Mainly because their live show comes so highly acclaimed by the few people whose musical tastes I completely trust and respect. Plus they have been rockin out their own brand of what I call 'psychadelic blues' for nearly 40 years now. The one and only - Allman Brothers Band.

I haven't been the same since that night. Just thinking about it leaves me speechless. However, in an effort to communicate; if I had to come up with one word, one adjective to describe this show it would be . . . explosive. An explosion of sight and sound, a full-blown assault on the senses. This has to rank as one of my top 3 shows in the hundreds in my lifetime.

I will never forget that night, never.

To cap off the 3 shows in 4 nights experience was
Coldplay.

I must interject this caveat; most people you talk to that were at the show seem to not have had a great experience. A lot of that had to do with the distraction of the typically annoying Verizon lawn crowd and standing so far in the lawn that the band looks like little ants. Plus, the band admittedly was not at full energy. Chris Martin, the lead singer, explained that they were just plain exhausted, some were playing with broken bones, others with colds, etc.

However, ask me, and I'll tell you the show kicked ass. We lucked out and got 4th row tickets (for free !!!) and were completly enraptured by their performance. Their sound was par to cd quality (which is either good or bad depending on preference), plus their stage design was amazing. They had a screen that seemed to cover the entire state of Kansas that showed live semi-animated images of the band (see above). That description doesn’t really do it justice, trust me, it was pretty amazing. I am not a Coldplay fan per se, however this was a great show (not to mention they did an acoustic Johnny Cash cover which was absolutely choice).

3 shows . . . 4 nights . . . I'll never be the same.
|| doug, 00:02

0 Comments:

Post a Comment