dougs digs

once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

5.15.2005

' I Scream (when I eat) For Ice Cream '

Some of you are aware of my digestive afflictions caused by heavy dairy products, mainly ice cream. As bad as the results of eating it can be, sometimes the pain is numbed by supreme quality ice cream. There are only two products I will subject myself to a day on the toilet for, Murrays (in Westport) and Ben & Jerry's.

My wife and I are on a secret list at Murrays for a flavor they only carry occasionally (would tell you what it is, but would have to 'whack' you if I did). They call us when they make a batch of the sweet stuff and we have to go in and ask for it specifically. They ask "did you get a call" and we smoothly give a wink. They then sneak off to the back of the store and come out with our batch, so feaking cool. That is one reason I will eat ice cream and 'pay for it'. The other reason, Ben & Jerry's, is less frequent because Murrays is preferred and I can only 'tolerate' so much discomfort, but will buy some 1-2 times a year.

Anyway, so yesterday I'm cruising around the 'burb's and end up around 135th St & State Line Rd. I haven't been out that far south in years. There are tons of restaurants and businesses everywhere. The once beautiful farmland is no longer there, just building after building, and one Volvo StationWagon and BMW SUV after another.

So, as I'm cruising by 'JoCo Stripmall Hell', one particular store jumps out in front of my car like a darting deer, a Ben & Jerry's shop . . . oh sweet mercy ! ! ! I pull my steering wheel sharply, race into the parking lot, and slowly walk in to the gates of mana. This place was simply grand, not to mention the down right tasty flavor I finally picked out. Sure, I was destined for 24 hours of tremendous discomfort, but it was well worth it.

|| doug, 14:56

2 Comments:

you know, Lactaid can help you if you let it...
Anonymous Anonymous, at 15/5/05 17:40  
One time in SoCA, Ben & Jerry's decided that they should have a free ice cream day (much like this past weekend's Free Frosties at Wendy's). Anyway, it was a blast -- me and some friends hit three Ben & Jerry's shops to reach our fill -- they were only giving out child-sized cups of the ice cream anyway... Later that night on the news, though, it was hilarious to see all of the antics people had pulled to try to get more ice cream out of the deal: costumes, distractions, etc. Too funny.

(I don't think people were pulling stunts to get free Frosties.)
Blogger timsamoff, at 16/5/05 08:24  

Post a Comment