dougs digs

once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

1.28.2005

Isn't It Ironic . . . Don't You Think ?

I had a rather odd experience today.

I initially chalked it up as coincidence, but then I thought to myself, "no wait, maybe it was irony" (not like Alonis Morissette 'fly in the chardonnay' type of irony, which is actually unsanitary, not ironic). By now I'm confused, what's the difference between the two ? This began to really eat away at me for some stupid reason. So I had to do a little research to compare and contrast the two words. This what I came up with thanks to a helping hand from Mr. Websters :

co·in·ci·dence
Pronunciation: kO-'in(t)-s&-d&n(t)s, -s&-"den(t)s
Function: noun1 : the act or condition of coinciding; the occurrence of events that happen at the same timeby accident but seem to have some connection.

iro·ny
Pronunciation: 'I-r&-nE also 'I(-&)r-nE
Function: noun 1 : the use of words to express something other than and especially the opposite of the literalmeaning; incongruity between the actual result of a sequence of events and the normal or expected result.

With that said, I will leave it up to you; Ye Ole Wise Blog Reader Person, to come up with the answer as to whether the following experience I had today is either irony or coincidence. Here we go . . . The day started off like any other. Cup of fresh coffee, check. Bowl of Quaker Oats (with frozen berries), check. NPR Morning Edition coming through nice and clear on the computer speakers, check. Email open and ready to go, check.

While perusing my daily NY Times I came across a good article on the mafia and the 'Last Don', Joseph C. Massino. I am really intrigued by all of the mafioso, organized crime, Soprano stuff. Anyway, in the article was a word I have never seen before in my life. This doesn't happen very often, that is what started this dilemma. The word is omertà, as in not a sell-out or a rat. Well, that's a new one to me.

As the day goes on I am playing with my new word, like a Christmas day toy. Proud that there are new things out there, having fun with it (ok, I'm a little weird . . . so what). As the shock of my discovery just begins to subside, a co-worker of mine hands me a CD to listen to. The bands name is The Belles; the album title . . . that's right, Omerta.

SON OF A ! ! ! What are the odds ? ? ?

Now my question to you, Ye Ole Wise Blog Reader Person, is that coincidence or irony ?

|| doug, 16:48

1 Comments:

I vote for coincidence. I'd offer a lengthy explanation, but then it would reveal that I am no less than a complete and total nerd with much too much time on her hands on a Friday night.
Blogger Mary, at 28/1/05 22:19  

Post a Comment